Job Req Number: 72928
Time Type: Full Time
Do you want to forward your career in one of the world’s largest transport and logistics companies? We have a fantastic opportunity for an experienced Supervisor to join our UK Distribution Team in Purfleet!
DSV Road is one of the leading road freight operators in Europe with distribution networks in North America and Africa. Annually, we handle more than 30 million shipments and every day more than 20,000 trucks are ready to carry your goods in a fast, efficient, flexible, and environmentally friendly manner.
To supervise Operations and to assist in the day to day running of the Distribution Department. The role holder will ensure all work is carried out in accordance with Company Operational Procedures and Statutory Requirements including Health & Safety, to the satisfaction of Clients and the profit of the Company.
Reporting to the Distribution Manager, the Distribution Supervisor has responsibility for leading the Distribution department within the site based at Purfleet. The Distribution Supervisor is a pivotal member of the team, understanding every aspect in the Operational area. The role holder will ensure high levels of service whilst maintaining a profitable fleet. Key KPI’s must be maintained throughout, which will be set with the Distribution Manager upon joining.
- Ensure service and profitability levels are developed/maintained in accordance with departmental targets/budgets
- Achieve agreed operational targets in line with budgetary constraints.
- Assess results to ensure financial care, cost awareness and budgetary targets are achieved.
- Ensure appropriate resources are employed to achieve business objectives within agreed financial parameters.
- Motivate/guide subordinates to achieve targets and to work to its full potential.
- Implement company policy and procedures by ensuring staff have the necessary qualifications and expertise to carry out their roles.
- Ensure legislative compliance where appropriate.
- Ensure that the company operates within all agreed operational procedures, and within statutory requirements including the provision and maintenance of a safe working environment.
- Impart knowledge, procedures, and legal requirements to subordinates by coaching and training, as needed.
- Prioritise key tasks and workload to achieve best results with available resources within the department.
- Ensure all relevant administrative procedures are followed and completed accurately according to deadlines.
- Identify and report to management on the departments needs and requirements.
- Ensure company and customer requirements are fulfilled as per the Operational Manual and the client’s needs or requirements.
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships within the location to improve inter departmental knowledge and relationships.
- Identify, fulfil, and review training and development needs of all subordinates within the department, through the formal appraisal process and on an ongoing basis
- Maintain relationships with suppliers, both internal/external, to ensure effective operation and quality service.
- Promote and maintain relationship with internal and external Partners, suppliers and clients to ensure a continual development of service and service levels
- Continuously review and appraise results to ensure accuracy of work.
- Effectively Manage resources through assessment of workloads and delegation of tasks to meet deadlines and business objectives
- Ensure problems and or difficulties which arise are dealt with promptly and in a professional and business-like manner.
- To cover all holiday across the distribution department including Distribution planning, Trunk Planning, Distribution Operator and Air and Sea Customer Service
- 4 GCSE’s or Equivalent
- 4 years working within Distribution, at least 1 year as a Supervisor/Team Lead/Managerial Responsibilities
- Ability of achieving and exceeding business goals.
- Excellent Microsoft Office Skills
- Ability to lead and motivate direct reports
- Highly motivated with a positive attitude
- High organisational skills, ability to plan and manage own time
- Excellent communication skills, ability to communicate at all levels
- 2 A Levels or equivalent ICS Accreditation
- Ability to drive organic business growth
- Budgeting and financial reporting experience
- 1 Year of Performance Management Experience
- Full Driving License
- Holidays 25 days per annum plus Bank Holidays (increasing with service)
- Car Park on site
- Eyecare voucher to support VDU users
- Free tea and coffee
- Cycle to work scheme on completion of probationary period
- Employee Assistance Programme (company funded)
- Lifeworks for perks
- Pension (Auto enrolment)
Why Work for DSV
Please review our careers page to see why your next career step should be with DSV. You can also watch the videos of our employees and see the reasons why they work for DSV.
DSV has a principal goal to improve quality, health, safety, and environmental sustainability with our community. All employees must make an active effort to continue the momentum towards minimising work-related injuries, illness, and the possible impact on the environment. They are required to stay committed to provide the highest quality of work to colleagues and our clients in a timely manner and in accordance with the principles of our management system standards of work and approved working standards.
DSV – Global Transport and Logistics
DSV is a dynamic workplace that fosters inclusivity and diversity. We conduct our business with integrity, respecting different cultures and the dignity and rights of individuals. When you join DSV, you are working for one of the very best performing companies in the transport and logistics industry. You’ll join a talented team of more than 75,000 employees in over 80 countries, working passionately to deliver great customer experiences and high-quality services. DSV aspires to lead the way towards a more sustainable future for our industry and are committed to trading on nature’s terms.
We promote collaboration and transparency and strive to attract, motivate and retain talented people in a culture of respect. If you are driven, talented and wish to be part of a progressive and versatile organisation, we’ll support you and your need to achieve your potential and forward your career.