The following provides an overview of how DSV USA is committed to building environmentally sustainable supply chains through green technology and eco-friendly initiatives. From our new office in Lancaster, Texas that is undergoing silver LEED certification to our local eco-conservation and education efforts, DSV USA is making a difference.
Across the USA Commitment
With over 5,000 employees and offices coast-to-coast, from Seattle to Boston and Los Angeles to Miami, DSV USA is committed to building environmentally sustainable results.
Environmentally Sustainable Supply Chains: Building Business with Green Innovations
Our supply chain innovations support our environment, economy, and employees to help drive new business aligned through a common commitment and investment in our future. Those investments are translated and tied closely to the countries we work and live in.
DSV's dedication to developing environmentally responsible initiatives and innovation is global, with a focus on enhancing our operations and objectives. With a local commitment to our clients and partnerships, we drive our business to new heights with a focus on the future.
Sustainable Supply Chains
As one of the first companies in the logistics industry, DSV is now specifying how much and how quickly it needs to reduce greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions as part of the Science Based Targets initiative.
In November 2019, DSV announced that it was committing to the Science Based Targets initiative (SBTi) and we would develop science-based targets for reducing our carbon footprint.
DSV commits to reducing absolute scope 1 and 2 GHG emissions 40% by 2030 from a 2019 base year. DSV also commits to reducing absolute scope 3 GHG emissions 30% over the same target period. Scope 1 and 2 refer to emissions from e.g. offices, warehouses and company cars, while scope 3 refers to emissions from subcontracted freight transports.
"With these ambitious targets we set a clear direction for our sustainability efforts for years to come. We intend to lead the way in our industry, and we know it will require a committed effort from the whole DSV Panalpina organization to achieve our targets, but failure is not an option. We have a steadfast belief that sustainability and long-term business viability go hand in hand.”
– Jens Bjørn Andersen, CEO
- Committed to set the Science Based Targets initiative (SBTi) approved greenhouse gas reduction targets.
- Sustainable fuel partnership announced May 2020, which aims to develop industrial-scale production of sustainable fuels for road, maritime and air transport by 2030.
- We have adhered to UN Global Compact since 2009; we consistently apply 17 Sustainable Development Goals
- Member of Clean Cargo Working Group (CCWG); Through CCWG, DSV has access to industry-leading carrier greenhouse gas emissions data that can be used to fulfill sustainable procurement requirements from our customers.
- Member of Sustainable Air Freight Alliance (SAFA); A collaboration between shippers, freight forwarders, and airlines to track and reduce carbon dioxide emissions from air freight and promote responsible freight transport
- Carbon Disclosure Project (CDP); not-for-profit charity that runs the global disclosure system for investors, companies, cities, states and regions to manage their environmental impacts - DSV has been submitting the climate change response to CDP on an annual basis, in 2019 Panalpina received an A rating
- EcoVadis CSR Rating; rates companies annually based on their corporate social responsibility (CSR) performance on 21 different variables - DSV has been submitting the CSR response to EcoVadis on an annual basis. In 2021, DSV received a Gold rating and was recognized as being in the top 5% of all companies being assessed
Green Innovation at its Best
DSV USA is at the forefront of the transport and logistics industry, bringing vision and valuable services to our clients that benefit our environment, economy, and our employees.
We define green innovation by how it helps our environment, business, and clients; it must add value to our goals and focus to our vision.
Our new 1 million square foot state-of-the-art facility in Lancaster, Texas is a prime example of green initiatives and building design. Our state-of-the-art facility implements environmental sustainability and design features that uphold our commitment to green objectives.
Environmental innovation with our logistics facilities means we integrate design features with the highest standards in sustainability and green building certification.
Denmark Set to Become a Global Hub for Sustainable Fuels
Six of Denmark's largest companies joined forces to launch a major project that aims to create green hydrogen for buses, trucks, ships, and airplanes.
Announced in May 2020, DSV joins container shipping group AP Moller-Maersk, ferry line DFDS, renewable energy company Orsted, airline SAS, and Copenhagen Airports with the aim of opening a 1.3 gigawatt e-fuel factory - one of the world's largest of its kind - within the Greater Copenhagen area in 2023.
Once production is scaled up to full capacity, it could produce more than 250,000 tons of clean power annually by 2030.
DSV-Designed Buildings Create a Unique Green Template
Our newly designed buildings offer a template for global building specifications, where we focus on continuous improvement and innovation. The first of four warehouse buildings erected on the Hedeland plot next to our global headquarters in Denmark was completed with environmentally-friendly NOXOUT roofing.
A special mineral-based coating helps to breakdown NOx particles emitted from the cars and trucks that pass through the area. This new type of roofing is part of the environmentally-friendly template for new DSV buildings. In addition to a focus on climate and CO2 reduction, DSV's focus is on the future of the environment and air pollution. Climate and environment are equal considerations when planning the next new building.
Environmental Innovation at our Facilities
Our logistics facilities integrate design features with the highest standards in sustainability and green building certification.
DSV USA's new office in Lancaster, Texas, just south of Dallas, is undergoing LEED Silver certification, providing special eco-friendly features that create environmental efficiencies and optimize sustainability. Features include special flooring, sustainable building materials, white roof for heat deflection, and energy conservation measures throughout its design.
Automation Innovation for our Clients
We innovate for our clients through investing in the latest automation and robotic technologies to develop growth and optimize supply chain management.
Streamlining technology to enhance operations enables employees to benefit by creating better paying jobs for warehouse workers. Creating a partnership between workers and technology through education and innovation elevates the skillsets of employees and fuels the economic growth of innovation.
Our experts are ready to help. Get in touch.