Success through innovation
A changing logistics world demands new ideas
Our world is changing more quickly than ever before.
Product lifecycles are getting shorter, consumer expectations are rising, online trading is radically disrupting the retail landscape – and logistics and transport are at the very heart of this changing world.
All this means constant innovation has become a necessary part of our business.
Innovation, quite simply, is about introducing something new or different. In our world, that means turning new ideas and creative thoughts into products or solutions which meet new or existing needs. And it’s never been more important than right now.
Tough and competitive economic conditions mean old, out-dated businesses which don’t give customers what they want are in trouble. Change is the new normal, and this is as true of logistics as any other industry!
Our relentless commitment to innovation – which can be incremental (a step at a time) or radical (disruptive activity which signals major change) – drives both our competitive advantage and the sustainability of our operations.
DSV’s Africa Innovation Hub is working on a number of exciting projects which are changing – or might change – the way we and our customers work, at least for a while. They include:
- Applying the Internet of Things to logistics to counter increasing risk of theft and pilferage
- Developing and launching the DSV Locker, which has quickly become a favourite way to send and receive parcels
- Using biometric verification to validate an identity without the need for physical identification
- Robotic Process Automation automates mundane, repetitive tasks and enhances efficiency and accuracy. We are applying RPA in our shared services in a number of ways. And finally,
- A number of DSV staffers are doubling up as “citizen developers” and developing user-friendly digital business applications to streamline aspects of our business.
Look out for our in-depth stories in the near future!