With offices throughout the United States, Mexico and Canada, DSV is equipped to transport your goods across the entirety of North America. Our staff is located in major cities on both the northern and southern borders of the US to better assist with customs clearance and keeping your cargo moving. After your freight crosses the border, our expansive cross-continental network ensures that your shipment is delivered safely and securely.
Customs Clearance Process at the Mexico Border
DSV can handle the customs clearance process for you at the Mexico border. The steps are as follows:
- Forwarder sends documents requesting permission to collect goods
- Carrier arrives with the trailer or consolidated shipment at the border and prepares for physical inspection of goods
- During inspection: missing invoices are reported; a detailed review of goods is provided, including characteristics, quantities and pictures; proofreading is completed and approval of motion is granted
- When payment is made and customs has been cleared, your goods can cross the border
Customs Clearance Process at Canada Border
DSV handles customs clearance at the Canada border for all goods crossing the border. The process is as follows:
- Carrier must file E-manifest with Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) at least 2 hours prior to arrival
- Carrier provides commercial documents, Pre-Arrival Review System (PARS) barcode, Port of Crossing, and ETA at the border to a licensed customs broker for pre-arrival processing
- Carrier has 30 days to cross the border after Pre-Arrival Processing is accepted, otherwise the entry goes "stale" in their system
- Carrier arrives at the border for processing. CBSA will scan the PARS barcode for the E-Manifest trip #
- Carrier will either be released and allowed to proceed into Canada or be referred to secondary for examination
- If the carrier's trip or PARS in not on file with CBSA, carrier will be referred to secondary for processing. Arriving at the border with no E-manifest and/or PARS being filed may subject the carrier to Administrative Monetary Penalty System (AMPS) penalties
Our experts are ready to help. Get in touch and we'll find the solution you need.