Hazard class 9: Miscellaneous dangerous substances and articles
Miscellaneous dangerous substances and articles are substances and articles which, during transport, present a danger not covered by the other classes of dangerous goods. It includes environmentally hazardous substances of Class 9, but also all other classes except for Class 7 radioactive material.
The substances and articles of Class 9 do not have any divisions but are sub-divided as follows:
- Substances which, on inhalation as fine dust, may endanger health
- Substances and articles which, in the event of fire, may form dioxins
- Substances evolving flammable vapour
- Lithium batteries
- Life-saving appliances
- Environmentally hazardous substances
- Environmentally Hazardous Substance, Solid, N.O.S
- Environmentally Hazardous Substance, Liquid, N.O.S
- Genetically modified microorganisms and organisms
- Substances transported or offered for transport at elevated temperature
- Other substances or articles presenting a danger during transport, but not meeting the definitions of another class
Although Class 9 hazardous substances do not have any other divisions, miscellaneous dangerous substances and articles have been assigned a packing group which is a degree of danger.
Packing Group II: Substances presenting medium danger
Packing Group III: Substances presenting low danger
Placarding, labelling, and marking of Class 9 dangerous goods
Packages containing Class 9 dangerous goods, and cargo transport units, containers, bulk containers, tank containers, portable tanks and multi-element gas containers containing Class 9 dangerous goods, shall be durably marked with the Class 9 label/placard.
Packages containing environmentally hazardous substances/marine pollutants, and cargo transport units, containers, bulk containers, tank containers, portable tanks and multi-element gas containers containing environmentally hazardous substances/marine pollutants, shall be durably marked with the environmentally hazardous substances/marine pollutant mark.
(Not applicable for air transport)